What is the USI?
The Unique Student Identifier (USI) is a number that gives students an account in Australia which retains information of all training done in Australia. Therefore once you have a USI account you can print a transcript of all the training done in Australia finished after Jan 1, 2015.
Brief video explanation
If you don’t have a USI?
- Steps to create your USI can be found here
- or download the Student Quick Guide for creating your own USI here USI Student Quick Guide
If you do have a USI?
- You need to include it with your application for RPL
- GIFT can only issue a qualification or statement of attainment to you after you have provided us with a USI and we have verified your USI with the Registrar unless an exemption applies under the Student Identifiers Act 2014
- Where an exemption applies, the results of the RPL assessment are not accessible through the Student Identifiers Registrar and will not appear on any authenticated VET transcript prepared by the Student Identifiers Registrar.
Do you need to have a USI?
*Please note: You cannot apply for RPL with us if you are currently in Australia on a student visa*
International RPL candidates in Australia
If you are an international candidate residing in Australia you will need a USI.
All internationals living in Australia have been issued with an Australian Visa.
This will allow you to use your passport and visa as proof of ID when creating your USI.
International RPL candidates living offshore
If you are an international residing outside Australia, you do not need a USI. This also applies to New Zealand citizens.
However, if you have a USI from previous studies within Australia then you need to supply your USI to enable inclusion of your RPL results on any future transcript issued by the Registrar.
If you are exempt from getting a USI we undertake to store your results and issue transcripts for qualifications obtained through us.
Australian RPL candidates offshore
If you are an Australian residing offshore you will be able to create a USI following the normal process.
New Zealand RPL candidates
If you hold a New Zealand passport and you intend to come to Australia, you will not be able to create a USI until you have entered Australia.
You cannot apply for a USI using your New Zealand passport while you are still in New Zealand.
This is because New Zealand citizens do not require a visa to enter Australia, so we do not have proof of your ID until your passport is recorded upon entry into Australia.